The sea of interconnected devices that makes up the Internet of Things poses a unique set of challenges. In addition to the classic embedded systems tradeoffs of speed, power, and cost, most IoT designs also introduce requirements for communications, security, and upgradability.
Our engineers at Software Design Solutions have decades of experience in embedded systems design, machine-to-machine (M2M) communication, and user interface design. We provide valuable insight during the design phase, the hardware selection and rapid prototyping process, and implementation.
Most IoT systems involve three tiers: Edge Nodes, Gateway Systems, and Cloud.
At the Edge Node level, Software Design Solutions leverages decades of embedded systems expertise in:
- Microcontrollers and DSPs (ARM, NXP, Freescale, Atmel, Intel, TI)
- Special purpose devices and FPGAs
- Embedded Linux, WinCE, other RTOS, and bare-board designs
- In-circuit emulators, cross compilers, and IDEs from various vendors
- Communications over RS-232, RS-485, I2C, SPI, and CAN
- Wireless protocols: Bluetooth Low Energy, WiFi, 6LowPAN, and ZigBee
- Embedded application tuning for speed, size, and power
At the Gateway level, we are experienced with gateway middleware technologies:
- Low cost single-board computer architectures
- MQTT, REST, CoAP, D-Bus protocols
- Embedded system security and lockdown
At the Cloud endpoint, Software Design Solutions applies our knowledge of the entire IoT system to improve the cloud design, including:
- Selection of the proper REST interface endpoints
- Deployment on AWS, Azure, and other cloud services
- Integration with customer’s back-office environment
For enterprise-level application development, Software Design Solutions can also leverage our parent company, Applied Visions, which specializes in building enterprise, mobile, and cloud-based applications.
If you’d like to find out how Software Design Solutions can help make your IoT application successful, contact us.